Super Dave tackles the world

Monday, July 03, 2006

World Cup Fever

Yes, it has been long time since I last post here. Is anyone still here?

During this period of time, I have been busy to finish my work by the end of June. Having said that, I still manage to find time to take into some World Cup Fever in Commerical Drive. I have to say I didn't care much about the World Cup at first since the first week of the tournament coincide with the Stanley Cup Final. After going to the Commerical Drive for a few games, I am fully into the World Cup tournament.

The first game I went to was the Italy vs. USA game in Bouzyos Greek Taverna. My cousin's cousin-in-law and I got to Commerical Drive pretty late, about 30 minutes before kickoff, so we ended up in the last table in this restaurant. The food was pretty good and at reasonable price. The game was another matter. I guess we shouldn't be surprised at how the referee ruined the tournament in the knockout stage given the number of penalties given out. A total of 3 red cards was given out in this game, so it ends up 10 players vs. 9 players. The game end up 1-1 tie, but Italy scored both goal (the tying goal was scored by a header by the Italian defender).

The next day, Woosang and I went to Commerical Drive. This time, we were at Falconetti to catch the Brazil vs. Australia game. On my way there, there were many people wearing Brazilian jersey. The Austrailian put in a good effort in the first half to keep a scoreless tie. The Brazilian is just too strong in the second half to finish the game 2-0.

After the Brazil game, we went to the Rio Theatre on Broadway and Commerical to watch the Korea vs. France game. The theatre just finished major renovation, so all the seats are pretty nice. I would recommend this theatre to watch movie (Support local business). The theatre is about 1/3 full, and about 3/4 of the people there are cheering on France (most of the Korean are in Croatian Cultral Center to watch the game). France dominated the game and score the first goal 9 minutes into the game. Korea didn't register a shot on goal until the 80 minutes of the game. However, the score on the 2nd shot on goal at 81 minutes. Yes, Korea only have 2 shots on goal the entire game. Since France is a higher ranking team, it was pretty exciting to see Korea come back and tie the game.

On Canada Day, instead of going to any Canada Day celebration, I went to Commerical Drive to catch the World Cup quarter finals. As I told my friends before, the England vs. Portugal game WILL go to overtime and eventually penalty shootout. Too bad I didn't know England haven't have much success in World Cup penalty shootout. Since I have more tie to UK, I am cheering for England. The first place I went to was a billiard hall. There were too many Portuguese in there, so I left after the full regulation time and went on the Cafe Roma to watch the Extra Time and Penalty shootout. It was full of England fans there, and yes, too full as it's standing room only. It was quite depressing when the first penalty shot by Lampard is saved by Ricardo. The room came alive after Hugo hit the post and Calgary born Hargreaves score for England. The cheer didn't last long as both Gerrard and Carragher shots are saved while Postiga and C Ronaldo scored for Portugal. The party is on for the Portuguese fans, while the England fan can only watch on the sideline, or in Commerical Drive case, the sidewalk.

After feeling depressed on England lost, I catch up with my friends in Bouzyos Greek Taverna to catch the Brazil vs. France game. I would describe this game as boring. The game didn't live up to the hype. Only 16 shots between these 2 supposedly great teams and only 6 of them hit the target. I couldn't remember much from this game except the goal by France. It's too bad Brazil didn't win as Commerical Drive would be filled with Brazilian fans celebrating.

Well, the final 4 teams are set. Here is my prediction: Germany over Portugal in the Final.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home